Naturopath Mount Martha – Who am I?
Naturopath in Mount Martha, mother, pharmacist, wife, body boarder, adventure seeker, comedian, camper, gardener….I’m Julie Smethurst and I’m really passionate about guiding people on their path to better health and well being.
Whilst I have a pharmacy background, I’m not interested in just administering you a pill! In fact, it’s why I’ve moved away from pharmacy in recent years, so I can offer clients comprehensive solutions that empower them to look after their own health on many levels – body, mind and spirit. My vision is to provide a holistic solution to your health problems, not a quick fix from a bottle.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not anti-mainstream medicine. There is definitely a place for it. I just prefer to help people via natural means if possible; helping before the presenting symptoms turn into big problems that you can only now manage is key. Diagnosing people and helping them in the early stages of ‘unwell’ can reduce the impact on their long-term health, not to mention our Medicare system!
I deal in wellness, doctors deal with disease.[/ezcol_1half_end]
Why do I do what I do?
After 10 stressful years of working long hours as a pharmacist juggling multiple jobs in my invincible twenties, I encountered my own health problems. I could hardly get out of bed each morning, constantly exhausted, chronic sinus infections and found myself eating breakfast cereal each night because I was too tired to cook. This wasn’t how I’d dreamt life would be!
I was dosed up on antibiotics, cortisone nasal sprays, antihistamines, anti-inflammatories and pain killers. And I wasn’t getting any better. I was getting worse! Constant pounding headache, no energy, bloated, gut pain, excruciating period pain and stacking on weight around the middle.
And I was doing everything my profession professed was the answer.
This is when my life PhD kicked in. Time to find real lasting answers. And I did.
I found out I had an underlying food intolerance, leaky gut, low iron and liver problems, so I changed my diet, cleaned up my lifestyle, did a comprehensive liver and gut detox and repair. I’ve never looked back.
Now I do what I love and what works and help others to get lasting results as I did.[/ezcol_1half_end]
It was my big lesson in cleaning up at the beginning rather than doing a patch job at the end.
Today, I use all my tools and knowledge as a naturopath, pharmacist and life coach to identify what’s going wrong and right in your body and give you a plan to get you from where you are to where you want to go.
If only I’d had this available to me all those years ago, could have saved me endless years of pain, frustration and ill health.
So, if you’re struggling with your health? And it’s time you got it sorted, once and for all? Come see me. It’s super simple once you’ve got a plan.
I can help decipher the medical jargon and provide a mixed integrative approach or deliver a totally natural one. You decide. I’ll help you feel better emotionally as well as physically and even share some of my tastiest recipes with you!
It makes all the difference in the world to your partner, your children, your parents and most importantly you, if your body and mind are functioning at their best.
Naturopath Mount Martha Qualifications
- 1989 Bachelor of Pharmacy (Sydney University)
- 2000-2010 Advanced Diploma of Naturopathy (Endeavour College, Melbourne)
- 2010 Foundations of Natural Fertility Education (Wise Women Business, Melbourne)
- 2011 Healthscope Functional Medicine Conference – Hormones, liver detoxification & nutrigenomics (Melbourne)
- 2011 Sports nutrition (ATMS seminar, Melbourne)
- 2011 Australian Association of Consultant Pharmacy Conference (Gold Coast)
- 2012 Biology becomes your biography – Metagenics (Melbourne)
- 2012-13 Robbins-Mandane Strategic Intervention & Life Coaching Course
- 2012, 2013 Iridology signs update (Toni Miller), Gold Coast
- 2013 Point of Care Screening & Pathology Testing seminar, Melbourne
- 2013 Body signs & symptoms seminar, Melbourne
- 2013 Don Tolman 3 day Nutrition Bootcamp, Gold Coast
- 2013 Clinical Advances in the treatment of Digestive Disorders, Melbourne
- 2014 Chronic, Fatigue, Fibromyalgia & Pain Syndromes, Melbourne
- 2014 Practitioner Only Detoxification, Melbourne
- 2014 Unleash the Power, Tony Robbins, Sydney
- 2015 Health Masters Live, The Natural Thyroid Masterclass
- 2015 Prescribing alongside Pharmaceuticals for Better Patient Outcomes, Melbourne
- 2015 Date With Destiny, Gold Coast
- 2016 Pain, Inflammation & Immune Driven Conditions, Melbourne
- 2016 Cardiovascular Disease & Current Treatments, Melbourne
- 2016 Functional Psychiatry: The Biology of Emotions, Melbourne
- 2017 Cellular and Systemic Bioenergetics: Effective Solutions for Clinical Fatigue, Melbourne
- 2017 Methylation:Putting New Science into Clinical Context, Melbourne
- 2017 Mastering the Microbiome, Melbourne
- 2018 Solving Allergies & Reactivity, Melbourne
- 2018 Breaking the Cycle of Chronic Allergies, Melbourne