When I’m pushed for time and need to create a meal that’s quick, healthy + purely delicious, I make zucchini fritters. What I love about these is that they not only taste great but they marry with so many of my favourite ingredients such as baby spinach, lemon + avocado. Enjoy them hot or cold – perfect for breakfast, picnics or take to work lunch boxes.
What makes it great:
Low in fat and carbs and a good source of protein + fibre that fills you up + keeps blood sugars steady, making zucchini a perfect food if you’re watching your weight.
Courtsey: Theresa Cutter
500 g (17 1/2 oz) zucchini (summer squash/ courgette)
1 cup (150 g / 5 1/4 oz) green peas
1 bunch parsley chopped (60 g/ 2 oz)
1 bunch mint chopped (20 g / 3/4 oz)
4 spring onions, sliced
good pinch sea salt
generous grind of black pepper
zest from 1 lemon
½ cup (50 g/ 1 3/4 oz) almond meal (see notes on alternatives)
- Grate the zucchini and place into a colander.
- Sprinkle with a just little sea salt and mix through. (not too much salt just a nice pinch)
- Sit for 10 minutes.
- Squeeze out all the moisture from the zucchini with your hands – I like to grab handfuls and squeeze out as much liquid as I can.
- Place the zucchini into a large bowl.
- Add parsley, mint, peas, spring onion, pepper, lemon zest, eggs and almond meal or the other alternative flours if using.
- Mix well until combined. At this stage it’s good to test cook a fritter to make sure it holds together well. Add a touch more almond meal or alternative flour if you need it.
- Cook fritters in a pan over a medium heat in a little olive oil for 2 minutes each side or until cooked through.
- Serve and Enjoy.
Makes 12 fritters