Doing your own homemade stock can make such a difference to the nutritional content of the soup or casserole as well as the taste. Make it in bulk so you have plenty on tap when you need it.
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 large carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 parsnips, roughly chopped
- 1 celery stalk, roughly chopped
- 1/2 large bunch silverbeet (about 600g)
- several thyme sprigs
- several flat-leaf parley stalks
- 1 dried bay leaf
- In a large pot melt cooconut oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring for 8 minutes or until caramelised.
- Add carrot, parsnip and celery and cook for 15 mins or until tender.
- Wash silverbeet thoroughly and chop into 2.5cm pieces. Add to pot with 4 litres water, thyme, parsley and bay leaf.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 hour or until stock is highy flavoured.
- Strain through fine sieve. Discard vegetables
- Store in fridge for 3-4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Makes 3.5 Litres