If you pose this question to a traditional endocrinologist or a GP, they’d tell you “we don’t know.”
However, holistic practitioners have a different point of view as to why we have a thyroid and autoimmune pandemic in developed countries.
Let’s take a look at what they are:
1. Nutritional deficiencies
- Many people are experiencing chronic digestive issues such as bloating, constipation, gas, acid reflux, bouts of diarrhoea, burping or more serious conditions like Coeliac’s, Crohn’s, IBS or leaky gut. When our digestive tract is behaving this way, the intestinal villi are not absorbing the nutritional goodness offered from the food we consume.
- The soil in which our food is grown today is often depleted of the key nutrients our body needs to function properly. Nutritional deficiencies are one of the reasons why the thyroid is not functioning properly.
2. Toxic load
Today’s developed world is loaded with toxins, many of which we are not even aware impact us. Here are a few key sources (this is, by no means, a complete list):
- Food can be loaded with pesticides, synthetic fertilizer residues, hormones and antibiotics which are well documented to be serious endocrine or hormonal disruptors (and more).
- Pre-packaged foods have a plethora of additives so they keep longer, behave better in manufacturing, look a certain way and so on. Our bodies just weren’t made to handle this sort of stuff.
- Drinking water often contains high amounts of chlorine and fluoride and BPA’s if stored in certain plastics. These compounds use the same transporters as iodine, so take up the proverbial car spots or receptor sites of iodine. Iodine already being scarce in Australian soils, means less opportunity to correct or flood the problem. Hence thyroid problems are happening in more predisposed individuals these days.
- Household items and skin care products, which we know today, are a source of xenoestrogens (chemicals which mimic the action of oestrogen), causing serious hormonal imbalances. These have a cascade effect on all other body systems.
3. Over usage of antibotics
- Here is the challenge with antibiotics: they quickly kill the bad bacteria that caused the illness but they also kill the good bacteria which are responsible for keeping the immune system working. This is why many people can fall sick with another illness soon after a series of antibiotics.
- Your gut is responsible for 80% of your immune system, being the interface between the inside and outside worlds. When you mess with it, you mess with our ability to fight infections and have a normal immune response.
- Whenever you get stressed, upset, if you are bottling up your emotions without a proper release, a potent hormone enters your blood stream, called cortisol.
- Excess cortisol erodes the lining of your digestive tract by creating inflammation. Constant stress also inhibits your stomach from digesting foods properly. Hence soaring food intolerances, fructose intolerance, IBS and much more. These reactions to food destabilise the immune system and drive autoimmune diseases, which have soared this century.
Need help with your thyroid? CLICK HERE to book in for FREE Thyroid Testing Offer (valued at $140) with an initial consult UNTIL 28th Feb 2017. CLICK HERE to get FREE ebook Top 10 Secrets To Healing Your Thyroid or call Julie on 0438 593523.