Hot on the topic of inflammation. One way to reduce inflammtion is to cut down on gluten containing grains.
Make it simple. Swap a piece of bread for a lettuce leaf and load it with lashings of tasty fillings. There is something delicious about having a bite of a multitude of the flavours at once.
I love them so I thought I’d share it with you.
As a healthy alternative to standard mayonnaises you can buy a good quality pesto or make one yourself. Recipe is below.
- 1 cup of soaked cashew nuts
- 1 handful of fresh basil
- 1 small clove of garlic
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of sea salt
Blend altogether in a blender till smooth and store in an old jam jar in the fridge. It lasts for four days.
For the “sandwiches”
- 4-6 iceberg, little gem, romaine or chicory leaves.
Here are some of my favourite fillings:
- Avocado, red onion, cherry tomato, poached chicken, cucumber and basil;
- Smoked mackerel, spring onion, avocado, watercress, grated carrot and beetroot;
- Tuna, spring onion, cherry tomato, capers and dill;
- Prawn, red onion, mango and coriander;
- Chickpea and lemon pâté with spring onion and cherry tomato.
The larger the lettuce leaf, the easier it is to wrap. But if you are using a small little gem leaf then just load up a mouthful of the ingredients on the end of the leaf and bite, then repeat!
Worst case scenario, if you don’t get time to buy all the filling – then buy a sandwich with a healthy filling, remove the bread and load the filling into some lettuce leaves and enjoy.
If you love it share it.
What is your favourite lettuce wrap filling? Love to hear. Leave a commernt below.