Have you caught yourself lately, thinking or saying things like…..
“Oh, my stomach has never felt quite right since that last trip to Bali”, “I just seem to get bloated every time I eat these days”, “I don’t know what it is, but something gives me a gut ache and I’ve put up with it for a year now”…..
I certainly did many years ago. And if like me, you didn’t think there was much you could do about it or it was going to be super complicated to work out and fix. I did nothing for a long time and suffered through it.
From that experience I learnt very clearly the concept that if you don’t pay attention to what your body is saying to you, the messages get louder. It goes from a whisper, to a pebble, to a brick, to a crisis.
Where are you on the time line?
For me I had to get to the crisis stage before I took heed. I was too busy with my life. I’ll worry about it later. Yeh, right. How’s that working for you? Ask me how I know.
For me the latter stage was chronic stomach pain, so incredibly tired, dark circles under the eyes, bouts of ongoing constipation, chronic dry mouth, couldn’t think, constant headache, sinus infections often and gaining weight I just couldn’t shift. My body was talking so loud now, I had no choice but to listen.
Here’s what I wish I had known, the 7 main causes of an upset gut:
- Food intolerances. This is a delayed sensitivity to certain foods. I liken it to a bucket, where a little bit here, a little bit there and bang you react. It is not necessarily from the last thing you ate but rather from an accumulation of the foods you have had in the last 4 to 7 days. This is why you can suffer bad gut symptoms at a particular meal at one time but perhaps not the next time. It often happens when your gut gets inflammed, for a variety of reasons and you are digesting your foods poorly. It will halt weight loss in it’s tracks, since it increases all your internal stress and inflammatory markers.
- Gut infection. You had gastro on your last overseas trip or ate or drank something that wasn’t quite right and have never felt quite the same since. Maybe you get more constipation or more diarrhoea or are reacting to different foods and meals often or just all the time. Low level gut infections cause inflammation, that provides the soil for an inflammatory bowel condition, such as leaky gut. Leaky gut then sets you up for food intolerances and ultimately exacerbates autoimmune diseases of any shape or type.
- Poor digestion. Your stomach, pancreas or liver are just not keeping up with the load you are putting on them. This can be due to stress, which shunts the blood supply away from digestion to your muscles for fight or flight. Or if your body is out of balance or low in certain nutrients. All manageable and fixable.
- Sluggish thyroid. Your thyroid sets your metabolic rate, the speed at which your body works. Sluggish thyroid, sluggish gut. Meaning constipation, bloated, gassy, food sits in your stomach like a brick. Thyroid conditions often run in a family. So if you suspect this may be an issue click here to take advantage of a special testing offer.
- Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO). This can cause Fructose Intolerance, which means lots of bloating, gas and stomach pain when you eat things like apples, onions, garlic, lentils and much more.
- Coeliac disease or wheat sensitivity. This can vary so much in how it shows up. I find if you are here, you’ll have multiple nutrient deficiencies, such as vitamin D, iron, zinc that don’t respond to supplementation. My motto is to always to retest to see if you are absorbing nutrients, otherwise it is just expensive sewerage. You don’t necessarily have stomach pain, I see many people with few physical symptoms and then others with extreme symptoms, it varies so much.
- Other gut diseases, such as ulcerative colitis, diverticulitis and many more.
If you are nodding yes to any of these, I would love to help you get it sorted. I know when you are not feeling quite right it’s hard to show up and feel great. You deserve to feel great every day!
If you like it, share it.