Simple recipe. Minimal cooking time and preparation.
- 4 whole trout (approx 300g each), gutted and scaled
- 1.5 unwaxed lemons
- 1 small bulb fennel, halved, finely sliced, keepinf the leafy tops
- large handful roughly chopped, fresh, flat-leafed parsley leaves
- 200g quinoa
- 250g green beans, trimmed and cut into 1cm rounds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt
For spice rub:
- 2 Tbsp sumac
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 Tbsp ground ginger
- 1/2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- Bring a pot of water to boil and add well rinsed quinoa. Cook for 30 minutes.
- Preheat grill to high.
- Blend ingredients for spice rub in mortar & pestle.
- Smear spice rub generously all over outside & inside of trout, then place on foil-lined, lightly oiled baking tray.
- Thinly slice one lemon.
- Stuff fennel, parsley and lemon slices inside cavity of the fish.
- Place the fish under the grill. Grill for 5-10 minutes on one side then the other or until cooked.
- Add green beans to quinoa 2 minutes before finished cooking. When cooked, drain & mix with hands to combine.
- Zest and juice remaining 1/2 lemon. Toss beans with the oil, lemon zest and juice and a little salt.
- Serve on platter in middle of table to share or individually.
- Garnish with leafy fennel tops and serve with a big green salad.