This is a question I often get asked by my clients.
I sometimes get a sweet craving that I just can’t budge. The more I try to ignore it the bigger it gets.
What should I do? Are there healthy sweet options I could use?
Well here are a few. Find one that hits the spot so you can move through the danger zone without losing momentum for healthy eating.
- Herbal tea with a little honey and cinnamon
- 2-3 squares of 70 or 85% cocoa dark Lindt chocolate
- Healthy Chai Latte – rooibos chai or dandelion chai or chai spice mix with warm almond milk, ground cinnamon, vanilla and dash of honey. Hits the sweet spot carving
- Raw chocolate mousse. Click here for recipe
- Healthy Hot Chocolate. Click here for recipe
- 6 cut up strawberries with 1 tablespoon Homemade nutella .Click here for recipe
- 1-2 fresh dates filled with almond butter and raw nuts
- 1 cup of warmed or fresh berries with sprinkle of ground cinnamon, dash of raw cacao powder and coconut.
- 1 bliss ball
- Cinnamon bananas – saute 1/2 sliced banana with ground cinnamon, maple syrup and coconut oil in a pan. Top with mixed nuts or shredded coconut.
- Raw pecans, almonds or walnuts sprinkled with ground cinnamon and coconut.
Sugars to steer clear of –
- artificial sweeteners such as Aspartame which accelerates abdominal obesity and damages brain cells via exictotoxins. Stevia is a much better option.
- high fructose corn syrup (55% fructose) & agave syrup (65-90% fructose) – reduces Leptin levels so more likely to distort hunger levels leading to binge eating. Better option is coconut nectar – low GI, low fructose, contains amino acids & minerals.
Hope this gives you some ideas to get you out of trouble when sugar cravings hit.
If you like it, share it.