Great nurturing meal for a cool night or cook it in bulk to share with friends.
2 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp fennel
1 tsp cinnamon (optional for a sweet taste)
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp good quality salt
1 cup red lentils
1 cup pumpkin
1 cup sweet potato
1 cup carrots
2 handfuls of green leafy vegetables (kale, spinach, silverbeet)
Coriander finely chopped or coriander powder
- Rinse the lentils in the saucepan 3-4 times until the water runs clear.
- Add pumpkin, sweet potato and carrots to 6 cups of boiling water (or more depending what type of pot or stove you are using).
- Cook over low-medium heat for 15 mins or until the lentils have lost their form.
- In a separate pan, heat up the coconut oil then add the mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds are popping, add the garlic and turmeric and cook for 30 seconds then add other herbs to the lentils.
- Garnish with a handful of fresh coriander if you wish.
- Servewith brown rice, red rice or quinoa.
OPTIONAL: To increase vegetable content, add green leafy vegetables cut into 3cm long pieces. Add these to the dhal at the same time as the spice mixture. Or just serve with steamed greens on the side.