When I need something sustaining and warming for breakfast, I make myself this awesome porridge which provides instant nourishment. The addition of apple and cinnamon makes this porridge taste YUM.
What it’s good for
Technically quinoa is not a grain but a relative of green leafy vegetables like spinach. It’s gluten free and has a low GI of 53, + it’s a complete protein which means that it contains a good serving of all nine essential amino acids that the body needs for repair.
The omega 3 fatty acids contained in the flaxseeds help protect the body against damage from infection and can also help fight against cholesterol.
Apples are high fiber and low GI and add a lovely natural sweetness so you don’t need to add sugar.
- 1 cup milk your choice – coconut, almond, rice
- 1 1/2 cups pre-cooked quinoa (cook a big batch & freeze in portion sizes)
- 1 handful of fruit of choice – frozen cherries, diced pear, grated apple, banana
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon ground linseed (flaxseed) or LSA (linseed, sunflower seed, almonds) (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a pot and warm for about 5 minutes.
- Spoon into serving bowls and enjoy.