Sick of soggy salads and always pushed for time when prepping meals? Well here is a solution to both. Mason Jar Salads are easy, simple and delicious. You can prep up to 4 days ahead when you know the formula.
The how to:
- Find a wide mouthed glass jar with a lid. Easy to stack and pour.
- Prep a range of salad ingredients, protein of choice and dressing.
- Layer one, the liquid zone, 1-4 Tablespoon salad dressing.
- Layer two, hard non-absorbent vegetable zone, like baby tomatoes, carrot, green beans.
- Layer three, protein zone, chicken, quinoa, fish, chickpea, bean mix, ensure they are cool to avoid cooking other ingredients.
- Layer four, absorbent vegetable zone, mushroom, broccoli, beets, cucumber, sprouts, zucchini. Can also add seeds, nuts and cheese here.
- Layer five, leafy green zone, spinach, rocket, baby kale, spinach, mixed lettuce.
- Store in fridge.
- Pour into a bowl to serve or eat it from the jar.
I love to have a variety of ingredients to shake it up a little and create a few variations for the week. Here is just one of them. Have fun, get creative, make it your own.
Mason Jar Chicken Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing
Honey Mustard Dressing
- ½ cup Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 8 free range chicken tenderloins
- ½ tsp salt (Himalayan, Celtic or Sea)
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 Tbsp rice bran oil
- 500g baby or grape tomatoes, whole
- 4 Lebanese cucumbers, diced
- 1/3 cup pinenuts
- 1 beetroot, grated
- 4 handfuls sprouts (mung bean or radish)
- 1 cup crumbled goats cheese
- 400g mixed baby greens
- Heat rice bran oil in frypan. Season chicken on both sides with salt, pepper.
- Add garlic to frypan with chicken and finally drizzle over lemon juice. Cook and brown on both sides.
- Remove from heat, cool and dice chicken.
- To make dressing: Combine all ingredients and whisk well.
- Assemble mason jars as directed above.
- You have 4-5 ready made meals perfect for grab to go lunches or dinners for the week.
- Shake contents into a bowl to eat. Enjoy!
If you like it, share it.