Big title…..hopefully it can change your relationship to bread.
Life changing bread uses whole grains, nuts, and seeds. It is high in protein and fibre. It is gluten-free (if use special gluten free oats – not cross-contaminated from wheat) and vegan. Everything gets soaked for optimal nutrition and digestion and there is no kneading. I will go so far as to say that this bread is good for you.
And it makes the best toast. Ever.
Makes 1 loaf
Courtsey of My New Roots
1 cup (135g) sunflower seeds
½ cup (90g) flax seeds
½ cup (65g) hazelnuts or almonds
1 ½ cups (145g) rolled oats
2 Tbsp chia seeds
4 Tbsp psyllium seed husks (3 Tbsp if using psyllium husk powder)
1 tsp fine grain sea salt (add ½ tsp if using coarse salt)
1 Tbsp maple syrup (for sugar-free diets, use a pinch of stevia)
3 Tbsp melted coconut oil or ghee
1 ½ cups (350ml) water
1. Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl, stirring well.
2. Whisk maple syrup, oil and water together in a measuring cup.
3. Add this to the dry ingredients and mix very well until everything is completely soaked and dough becomes very thick (if the dough is too thick to stir, add one or two teaspoons of water until the dough is manageable).
4. Transfer to a small lined loaf tin. Smooth out the top with the back of a spoon. Let sit out on the counter for minimum 2 hours, but can be overnight. To ensure the dough is ready, it should retain its shape even when you pull the sides of the loaf pan away from it it.
5. Preheat oven to 350°F / 175°C.
6. Place loaf pan in middle rack of oven, bake for 20 minutes.
7.Remove bread from loaf pan, place it upside down directly on the oven rack or a baking tray, bake for further 30-40 minutes. Bread is done when it sounds hollow when tapped.
8.Let cool completely before slicing.
9. Store bread in a tightly sealed container for up to five days or slice into toaster thick slices, individually wrap in plastic, and freeze.
Try it out – you won’t regret!
If you like it, share it. Spread the love. Do you think it lives up to it’s name? Leave a comment below.