This time of year I start craving hot chocolate. Something warm, sweet and nourishing that’s healthy. Buy good quality cocoa or cacao powder. I vary from raw varieties such as loving Earth to quality cocoa powders such as Callebaut or Valrhona that make delicious hot chocolates. Cocoa contains beta-carotene, calcium, zinc, iron, potassium, chromium and in particular magnesium that can help with bone mineralization, muscle contraction and immune function.
- 2 1/2 cups almond or coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon macca powder (optional)
- 1 heaped tablespoon organic cacao powder
- 1 pinch ground ginger (optional)
- pinch of ground cinnamon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or 1 teaspoon extract or pods from fresh vanilla bean
- 1 teaspoon honey
- pinch sea salt
- Combine all ingredients except for honey into a small pot.
- Heat gently.
- Pour into serving cups and enjoy.
- Sweeten with a little honey to taste.
Courtsey: Teresa Cutter