This classic Greek vegetarian soup is simple to make and great as the weather cools down. Perfect for restocking the freezer or a large party. Make it on a lazy day at home or while cooking dinner to make life easier. Remember to start the day before by soaking the beans.
- 500g dried haricot beans, soaked overnight
- 1 large brown onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 bulb fennel, diced
- 1 can peeled tomatoes or 3 ripe tomatoes roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- handful flat leaf parsley
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 2 handfuls green beans, trimmed and sliced
- salt and pepper
- Drain beans and place in large saucepan. Cover with cold water and bring to boil, skimming off froth with a slotted spoon.
- Add all remaining ingredients and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add zucchini and green beans and simmer for further 30 minutes or until tender.