Refreshing, crunchy salad that’s great for liver function and digestion, with the classic tang of grapefruit. Keep it vegetarian or add your favourite protein – my fav is fish or seafood. Plus I often add torn radicchio (bitter purple lettuce) to rev up the tang. Ahhh….I can feel the start of spring in the air!
- 2 big handfuls loose leaf baby cos/baby spinach/iceberg lettuce/watercress (choose one or combine two)
- 1 small fennel bulb, finely sliced
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 200g Persian feta, crumbled
- 1 handful sugar snap peas
- 1 small avocado, peeled & finely sliced
- 3 ruby-red grapefruit
- 1/4 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Wash and drain lettuce and sugar snap peas. Arrange on platter.
- Thinly slice fennel and red onion. Place on the greens.
- Peel and slice 2 grapefruits and avocado. Place on top of fennel & red onion.
- Squeeze juice from remaining grapefruit, and set aside.
- Sprinkle fetta over salad.
- Place fennel seeds in saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook until golden brown and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a spice grinder, and grind until very fine.
- Place ground seeds in a bowl. Add 1/4 cup grapefruit juice, honey, and mustard. Season with salt and pepper. Whisk to combine, slowly adding olive oil. Add dressing & toss to combine.
- Add protein of choice (sliced poached chicken, lamb backstrap, seafood, fish…) or keep vegetarian.
If you like it share it.