Buckwheat is not related to wheat. It is actually a seed and a great alternative to gluten containing grains. This simple garden-style salad bursts with the flavours of tomato and zingy lemony flavours. I often serve this salad with grilled fish.
- 1/2 cup raw buckwheat or buckins
- 8-10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 lebanese cucumber, cubed
- 1/2 avocado, peeled
- 1/4 red onion, sliced finely
- 2 Tbsp coriander leaves
- few basil leaves
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Place buckwheat or buckinis in a small saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to the boil, then cover with a lid and reduce heat to a gentle simmer.
- Cook stirring occasionally for 10-12 minutes or as directed on the packet.
- Drain and allow to cool slightly.
- To serve, divide cooked buckwheat between two bowls, top with veggies and a protein of your choice and fresh herbs.
- Drizzle with lemon juice, olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
If you like it share it.