Serves 4, as light meal
- 1 can of precooked chickpeas (or you can soak 1 cup dried chickpeas overnight & simmer for 1 hour)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp smoked sweet paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 400g canned whole tomatoes
- 180g baby English spinach
- 6 eggs
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Heat olive oil in saucepan & add onion & garlic & sauté over low-medium heat until carmelised (8-10 mins).
- Add spices, sauté until fragrant (1 min), then add tomatoes, breaking them up with a wooden spoon.
- Stir through chickpeas & 250ml of water, simmer until thick (8-10 mins), then season to taste & stir through spinach.
- Transfer chickpea mixture into a shallow 4 litre-capacity ovenproof dish. Make either 4 or 6 indents & crack an egg into each, then bake until eggs are just set (15-20 mins).
- Serve while still warm. Enjoy!