So love warming spices in winter. An Asian variation of a healing, nourishing chicken and vegetable soup. Yum!
Prep time 15 minutes
Cooking time 40 minutes
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small brown onion, finely diced
- 1 thumb of ginger, finely grated
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 cm turmeric root, finely grated or ½ tsp ground tumeric
- 1 sprig of coriander roots and stems, finely chopped
- 1 cob of corn
- ½ sweet potato, ½ cm dice
- 1 carrot, ½ cm dice
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon coriander
- 1 star anise, whole
- 1 cinnamon stick, whole
- 1 dried shitake mushroom or 2 fresh
- 1 whole chicken breast (free-range)
- 500mls chicken stock
- 2 teaspoon tamari
- 1 teaspoon mirin or ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dulse
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to make it:
- In a frypan over medium heat melt coconut oil, add in onion and fry for 3 minutes
- Add garlic, ginger, turmeric and coriander stems and continue cooking another 2 minutes.
- Add in vegetables and spices and stir until well coated with spice mixture.
- Add in stock, tamari, mirin and simmer for 10 mintues.
- Add in whole chicken breast and shitake mushroom and poach chicken for 15 mintues.
- Remove chicken breast from soup mixture and finely shred meat, and return to pot with dulse.
- Serve in bowls and garnish with coriander and black sesame seeds.