This is a big claim… such simple recipe, yet so extraordinarily yum! Even gluten and dairy free….with loads of flavour.
It tastes especially amazing with a scoop of coconut ice cream, but that’s pretty hard to make from scratch, so I often buy it from a health food store.
- 6 large granny smith apples, peeled, cored, diced 2cm pieces
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1/2 cup flaxseed meal
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, melted
- 1/4 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- 1/4 cup flaked almonds
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place the apples in a pie dish with lemon juice, vanilla seeds and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Mix until apples are evenly coated.
- In a bowl combine almond meal, flaxseed meal, nutmeg, remaining cinnamon and coconut sugar. Stir in coconut oil and mix well until mixture resembles sand.
- Cover apples with topping mixture and place in oven. Bake for 40 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is golden.
- Sprinkle over chopped macadamias and almonds.
- Serve with a scoop of organic coconut ice cream from a health food store, or coconut yoghurt.