This is my all time favourite porridge that I enjoy most mornings when the weather is a little cold outside.
It’s made from vanilla, flaxseed, chia, fresh apple and a good dose of cinnamon that makes this morning ritual taste exactly like apple strudel.
Adding a little cinnamon has the power to help your body metabolize sugar and reduce insulin levels, eating as little as 1/2 -1 teaspoon of cinnamon a day is all you need to feel the benefits.
Apple adds sweetness and it’s high in pectin fibre that helps keep you fuller for longer.
The addition of flaxseeds contained in the LSA as well as chia can also help reduce cholesterol by lowering blood sugar levels because of it’s high fiber and high omega 3 content.
Flax and chia can help keep you regular and eliminate toxins because the seeds are packed with both soluble and insoluble fiber to absorb water and stimulate peristalsis of the colon.
I normally make this porridge with water then add a good splash of hot milk and a little honey just before I eat it.
Courtesy of Teresa Cutter
Time it takes: 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 apple, grated
- 2 tablespoons LSA
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 60 ml almond milk (or your choice of dairy, nut, seed)
NB: add extra fruit on top if you like (banana, berries and fig work well)
- Combine water, apple and cinnamon into a pot with the LSA, chia seed, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Cook over a low heat for a few minutes until heated through and thickened and stir in the chopped banana.
- Serve topped with warm milk and a little honey.
For an extra hit of protein, replace water with unstrained nut milk (cashew or almond are great) or dairy or quinoa or add a scoop of your favourite protein powder.