What is Self Care?…. you say….well it is being kind to yourself, nurturing yourself. So you feel filled up to give back to all around you, whether that be work, family or home so you can stay healthy and happy.
Life has been my teacher in this department. We often have to learn it the hard way to get the message fully. In my experience if you want to save yourself from burnout, breakdowns, and insanity moments you MUST schedule a little nurturing Self Care into your daily calender.
Yes YOU…..and not tomorrow or next week. Every day! Keep depositing into that sweet little bank account of Self Care so you can reap the benefits long term as you journey through life. I guarantee you will need it.
And your family, work mates and friends will love you for it! Here are 19 ideas to do just that:
If you have one minute:
1. Sit back in your chair, fold down the laptop and breathe mindfully. Notice how your breath feels going in and out of your nose and fills your lungs. Take this time to acknowledge all the great things your body does for you and how magical it is to do just that….BREATHE. Do it for one minute. I dare you!
2. Say kind words to yourself. How long has it been since you have done this? Acknowledge the great person that you are. Allow it to take over your entire body and feel it to your core.
3. Stand up and stretch, dance or do a rejuvenating yoga posture like your trusty down dog or seated forward fold.
4. Write down 3 things that make you smile and plan to do them in the next 24 hours.
5. Rub your temples.
6. Brush your hair. It sounds simple but by brushing your hair you stimulate a ton of acupuncture points which can help calm your mind and encourage blood flow to your brain.
If you have five minutes:
7. As you’re busy running around doing errands, and before you jump out to conquer your next to-do, sit in the front seat of your car and meditate. If you’re not into the whole meditating thing, throw some shades on (to avoid awkward eye contact) and just zone out. Give your overworked brain a break.
8. Blast your favorite feel-good song.
9. Make a green smoothie, because feeding yourself well is always excellent self-care.
10. Make that much-needed phone call to any positive, inspirational person in your life.
11. Go through the pictures on your phone and find some of your favorites. Forward a few of them to the friends you experienced them with. You’ll smile and so will they!
12. Write out a self-care plan for tomorrow. Hey, it’s always good to plan ahead.
If you have 30 minutes:
13. Take a hot bath or shower with some candles, relaxing music and your favourite essential oil.
14. Sprawl out on some cosy cushions or hammock and open up an amazing book you are reading and escape.
15. Close your eyes and just BE.
16. Dry skin brush your entire body. With the skin being the largest organ, dry brushing can have some great benefits such as increase circulation, remove skin impurities, and encourage relaxation.
If you have all day:
17. Take a stroll among nature or swim in the ocean and feel the amazing air or water caress your body. Acknowledge the warmth of the sun on your skin and how great it is to just be alive.
18. Tackle that overwhelming task that’s been hanging over your head for months. Today may be the perfect time to go for it. Eliminating tasks is a great way to open up space for more positive energy in your life. Feel the universe expand as you declutter your wardrobe and create space for future possibilities.
19. Plan the day of your dreams! Go for a hike, get a pedicure or a massage, stop by to see your grandma, grab a chai and read a book at your favorite coffee joint, take a yoga class, go swimming, and just indulge in all that 24 hours can offer you!
Would love to hear what your top 3 self care musts are.
Just leave a comment below.
And if you like it share it.